1) Roller Screw actuators require very little maintenance. There are no ball bearings to replace or lose. Typically depending on duty cycle – re-greasing which takes 20 minutes should be completed every 1-3 years. Exlar offers 2 year product warranty.
2) No risk of Brunnelling or pitting of the recirculating ball bearing groove during repeated pressing / sealing applications applying forces in the same position.
3) In most applications, Roller Screw actuators have a lifetime of over 10 years. This makes them a significantly better investment than previous technology.
4) Roller Screws typically last 15 times longer than an equivalent ball screw in the X grade and 5 times longer life in the M grade. Budget K series give 2-3 times travel life.
5) The Roller Screw actuator design is such that is it generally more compact than a ball screw.
6) Roller Screws have a lower inertia than ball screws, which allows equivalent results to be achieved with smaller motors.
7) Roller Screw actuators are available as part of a fully integrated solution. Ball screws typically require an external motor, drive and coupling, all of which can potentially be eliminated. GSX range are fully integrated, Tritex II includes the servo drive & positioner.
8) Roller Screw actuators are much more robust than ball screws and can withstand greater shock loads.
9) Roller Screw actuators produce less noise than equivalent ball screws, which is beneficial from the perspectives of noise pollution and H&S. Also they save some energy since they are more mechanically efficient.
10) Roller Screw actuators have extensive customisation options, which are unavailable with ball screw equivalents, including front protective bellows, integrated load cell option, grease zerks/nipples, different coating options, custom travel lengths, limits switches, preloaded follower for zero backlash option, special greases food grade / low temp, integrated planetary gearbox option, 2:1 or custom pulley ratio parallel drive mount
11) Preloaded angular contact thrust bearings with zero backlash, shrunk in, not glued in like with some ball screw actuators.
12) Roller Screw Actuators can produce faster cycle rates than ball screws up to 1.5m/s.
13) Flexibility to adapt to any motor shape / design into the I series or FT series actuators with compression drive coupling supplied or high capacity bellows coupling. GSX is integrated.
14) High Forces are available up to 450kN.
15) Longer Travel Lengths are available up to 3m.
16) Wide option of mounting possibilities, Trunnion, Side mount, front flange, rear clevis and custom mounting / client requested tailored front flange dimensions.
17) Ancillary options are available like clevis pins, front spherical rod eyes, trunnion blocks.
Olsen Actuation is the exclusive UK supplier of Exlar Actuators. As market leaders in the integration and customisation of electro-mechanical systems, our holistic approach ensures that each application is bespoke and that every system is tailored by us to suit our client’s individual needs.
Exlar’s patented roller-screw technology is the most advanced in the industry and we support our products and systems through every stage of pre-programming, installation and after care. To find out more about any of our products or to obtain a quote for a project that you are working on, please contact us here